Networker

Re: [Networker] SDLT320 Support with Solstice Backup 6.1 Build 186

2004-01-04 01:32:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] SDLT320 Support with Solstice Backup 6.1 Build 186
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 22:32:30 -0800

> I recently removed an Exabyte Mammoth2 external drive from a Sun server
> and replaced it with an external Quantum SDLT320.
>
> I patched Solaris 2.6 to support the SDLT320.
>
> Problem: nwadmin doesn't show the SDLT as a device to choose from in the
> Devices window.  It shows SDLT but this only gives me the 100GB capacity,
> not the 160GB.

In general, Networker neither knows nor cares about the actual capacity
of volumes.  The only purpose of it is to give you more accurate figures
when showing the % full that volume is.

> Questions:
> 1) I haven't rebooted since attaching the device to the Sun server
>    (used drvconfig, devlinks, tapes commands).  Will a reboot help solve this?

Probably not.  As long as you successfully unloaded and reloaded the st
driver, then things are as far along as need be.  Your only concern
should be to verify that you are getting the capacity on the volumes
that you want.

> 2) Do I need to reinstall Solstice Backup (aka Networker) for it to support
>    the SDLT320?

I doubt it.  Just change the "default volume capacity" on your 320
devices to be about what you expect to write on the volumes.  Again,
this is only of use when calculating %full figures, not for any other
purpose.

Presumably you should get 160G uncompressed, or more based on your
actual data when compressing.  I might set it at 280GB as a somewhat
conservative figure.

You're not mixing two different types of drives or media on this server,
are you?

Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company