Networker

Re: [Networker] SDLT320 Support with Solstice Backup 6.1 Build 186

2004-01-06 18:43:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] SDLT320 Support with Solstice Backup 6.1 Build 186
From: Tom Jones <tjones AT STATESMAN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 17:43:47 -0600
----- Original Message -----
From: "Darren Dunham" <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: <NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2004 9:32 PM

> > I set it to SDLT (as I recall) but need SDLT320 to get 160GB capacity.
> > SDLT320 not showing up as a drop down menu item via nwadmin
>
> Why do you think this is true?  Have you written to one of the tapes and
> had it fill up prematurely?
>
> Networker does *not* care about the type of device for the capacity of a
> 'tape' device.  It simply writes to the drive until an error occurs and
> then marks it full (plus some verification).
>
> As long as the solaris st device is setting the correct density, then
> the tape should hold the correct amount and Networker will use all of
> it, even if it doesn't know exactly what a SDLT320 device is.
>
> The only thing the "media type" attribute for the device should do (to
> my knowledge) is to tell Networker what type of media is allowed to be
> used.  If you have a "DLT" and a "SDLT", it won't try to use the same
> media in each one, even if they were in the same library.  The capacity
> of each volume is driven by the OS device and not affected.

I'm hoping you're right.  I had problems with the M2 capacity, tried to
overwrite
the default capacity and couldn't.  This may have been end-of-media as opposed
capacity limit of Networker.

I'm going to try a backup with a capacity setting on the label and see what
happens.

Thanks for your input!
Tom