Networker

Re: [Networker] SDLT320 Support with Solstice Backup 6.1 Build 186

2004-01-04 11:27:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] SDLT320 Support with Solstice Backup 6.1 Build 186
From: Tom Jones <tjones AT STATESMAN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 10:27:46 -0600
----- Original Message -----
From: "Darren Dunham" <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: <NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2004 12:32 AM

> > I recently removed an Exabyte Mammoth2 external drive from a Sun server
> > and replaced it with an external Quantum SDLT320.
> >
> > I patched Solaris 2.6 to support the SDLT320.
> >
> > Problem: nwadmin doesn't show the SDLT as a device to choose from in the
> > Devices window.  It shows SDLT but this only gives me the 100GB capacity,
> > not the 160GB.
>
> In general, Networker neither knows nor cares about the actual capacity
> of volumes.  The only purpose of it is to give you more accurate figures
> when showing the % full that volume is.
>
> > Questions:
> > 1) I haven't rebooted since attaching the device to the Sun server
> >    (used drvconfig, devlinks, tapes commands).  Will a reboot help solve
> > this?
>
> Probably not.  As long as you successfully unloaded and reloaded the st
> driver, then things are as far along as need be.  Your only concern
> should be to verify that you are getting the capacity on the volumes
> that you want.
>
> > 2) Do I need to reinstall Solstice Backup (aka Networker) for it to support
> >    the SDLT320?
>
> I doubt it.  Just change the "default volume capacity" on your 320
> devices to be about what you expect to write on the volumes.  Again,
> this is only of use when calculating %full figures, not for any other
> purpose.
>
> Presumably you should get 160G uncompressed, or more based on your
> actual data when compressing.  I might set it at 280GB as a somewhat
> conservative figure.
>
> You're not mixing two different types of drives or media on this server,
> are you?
>
> --

I did perform the unload of the st module.  I am concerned that a mt status
still shows Exabyte Mammoth 2 instead of the SDLT320.  mt rewind and
offline are functioning fine with the SDLT320.

I thought about overriding the 100GB setting and leaving it at the DLT device
setting.

The only other info I picked up was the support matrix from Legato - it appears
that SDLT is only supported in a library configuration....

Thanks for your input!
Tom