Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] choosing database.

2013-09-19 11:59:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] choosing database.
From: Konstantin Khomoutov <flatworm AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: Mauro <mrsanna1 AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 19:43:56 +0400
On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 17:06:48 +0200
Mauro <mrsanna1 AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

> Hello.
> I'm using bacula in a linux debian system.
> I've to backup about 30 hosts.
> I've choose postresql as database.
> What do you think about?
> Better mysql or postgres?

Unless you will have directories with unusually high quantities of
files on those hosts (for instance, backup directories maintained by
rsnapshot, huge mail spools etc) both should perform well.

The basic idea is that each (full) filename backed up makes up one
record in one of the tables of the Bacula catalog, plus each unique
pathname makes up one record in its another table.  Consequently, when
you have *huge* number of distinct files in a backup job, this might
kneel your database.  I've personally seen despooling of attributes for
some 800k files taking more than 24 hours with a reasonably tuned (for
high-memory) MySQL instance using the MyISAM storage backend.  I'm not
sure would Postrges beat MySQL in this situation, and if yes then by
which margin.  In this particular case I've just switched to using the
bpipe plugin for backing up that particular fileset -- simply because
restoring individual files from it makes little sense anyway.