Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] upgrading bacula from one server to an entirely different piece of hardware

2013-09-20 04:50:25
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] upgrading bacula from one server to an entirely different piece of hardware
From: Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>
To: Jared Kelley <jkelley AT popcap DOT com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 10:47:29 +0200
On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 04:30:58PM -0700, Jared Kelley wrote:
> Bconsole tells me I'm running this version of bacula.
> *version
> backup1-dir Version: 3.0.1 (30 April 2009) i686-pc-linux-gnu debian 5.0.1
>
> I inherited this setup and need to upgrade on a new server because the raid
> controller on the old server is failing.
> My question is this:
> Will the current config files be compatible with the latest version of
> bacula?  I'm planning on using apt-get to install the packages.
> Since this installation will happen on totally different hardware I'm hoping
> to avoid having to redo my config files.
> Thoughts on this procedure?

I'd recommend compiling from source. It's not that hard and it's quite
easy to keep different bacula versions (with the same catalog version)
alongside each other in case things break.

You can then copy over the old config and use bacula-dir -t to check
for any syntatic problems with the latest version of bacula.

something like

configure --prefix=/server/bacula-5.2.13

after extracting the tarball and cd'ing to the src dir should get you
going.

You will most likely have to run several "upgrade bacula tables"
scripts  on the old catalog which could take a while depending on your
database size.

All the best, Uwe

--
NIONEX --- Ein Unternehmen der Bertelsmann SE & Co. KGaA