Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] choosing database.

2013-09-19 16:42:28
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] choosing database.
From: Stephen Thompson <stephen AT seismo.berkeley DOT edu>
To: Mauro <mrsanna1 AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 13:39:29 -0700
On 09/19/2013 08:51 AM, Mauro wrote:
> On 19 September 2013 17:20, Stephen Thompson
> <stephen AT seismo.berkeley DOT edu <mailto:stephen AT seismo.berkeley DOT
> edu>> wrote:
>

>     The answer may partly come from how much RAM the system running the
>     database has.  I've seen numerous preferences for postgres on this
>     mailing list, but I've personally found on my 8Gb RAM system, I get
>     better performance out of mysql.  We backup about 130+ hosts,
>     incrementals nightly, differentials weekly, fulls monthly (~40TB).
>

> In my case the ram is not a problem, bacula server is in a virtual
> machine, I'm using xen, actually my ram is 4G but I can increase.
> I've to backup about 30 host, four of which have a lot of data to be
> backed up.
> One has about 80G of data, multimedia files and other.
> I've always used postgres for all my needs so I though to use it also
> for bacula server.

Given what you're going to backup, I don't think it's really going to
matter which database you choose.  Pick whichever database you're more
familiar with, as that's likely going to be the only difference you'll
notice between them.

Also, in this discussion folks don't always immediately bring up
retention as that (along with the number, not size, of files you backup)
is going to determine your database size.  Since 90+% of the bacula
database is the File table, that's where good or poor performance is
going to exhibit itself.

We have a 300-400Gb File table and get reasonable performance from mysql
and 8Gb of RAM.  We run the innodb engine for bacula itself (less
blocking than myisam), and the myisam engine on a slave server for
catalog dumps (faster dumps than innodb).

Stephen
--
Stephen Thompson               Berkeley Seismological Laboratory
stephen AT seismo.berkeley DOT edu    215 McCone Hall # 4760