Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] choosing database.

2013-09-19 15:56:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] choosing database.
From: lst_hoe02 AT kwsoft DOT de
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 21:53:28 +0200
Zitat von Konstantin Khomoutov <flatworm AT users.sourceforge DOT net>:

> On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 17:06:48 +0200
> Mauro <mrsanna1 AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>> I'm using bacula in a linux debian system.
>> I've to backup about 30 hosts.
>> I've choose postresql as database.
>> What do you think about?
>> Better mysql or postgres?
>
> Unless you will have directories with unusually high quantities of
> files on those hosts (for instance, backup directories maintained by
> rsnapshot, huge mail spools etc) both should perform well.
>
> The basic idea is that each (full) filename backed up makes up one
> record in one of the tables of the Bacula catalog, plus each unique
> pathname makes up one record in its another table.  Consequently, when
> you have *huge* number of distinct files in a backup job, this might
> kneel your database.  I've personally seen despooling of attributes for
> some 800k files taking more than 24 hours with a reasonably tuned (for
> high-memory) MySQL instance using the MyISAM storage backend.  I'm not
> sure would Postrges beat MySQL in this situation, and if yes then by
> which margin.  In this particular case I've just switched to using the
> bpipe plugin for backing up that particular fileset -- simply because
> restoring individual files from it makes little sense anyway.

Our biggest single job has about 1TB data with some 3.3 million files.
This lead to around 1GB spooled attributes which will be absorbed in
less then 2 minutes. Database is Postgres with some minimal tuning:

shared_buffers = 128MB
temp_buffers = 32MB
work_mem = 32MB
maintenance_work_mem = 64MB
checkpoint_segments = 32
checkpoint_completion_target = 0.9

That's all

Database hovers around 21GB in size with with some 57 million rows in
the file table.

If you are familiar with Postgres there is no reason to not use it.

Regards

Andreas