Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] why restore so slow after bscan?

2013-06-25 05:59:00
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] why restore so slow after bscan?
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Jummo <jummo4 AT yahoo DOT de>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 11:55:33 +0200
Hello Jummo,

Yes, writing an EOF on a tape drive will significantly slow it down. I
am not
sure it actually stops the tape drive.  For an LTO-5 I recommend a Maximum
File Size of 5G, but I don't see any serious problem with 10G. The downside
of a larger Maximum File Size is that it takes longer to get to any
given file
for a restore. If you are restoring the whole job then there will be only
one seek to the first file which is not a problem. If you are restoring a
single file or a small number of files, the seek time can be more
important --
it all depends on how fast you want your restores to go.  In any case,
Bacula allows you to set a lot of parameters to optimize for
your particular needs.

Best regards,
Kern