Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup of dedicated server

2013-06-25 07:30:15
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup of dedicated server
From: Konstantin Khomoutov <flatworm AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 15:25:55 +0400
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 00:27:25 -0700
soveren <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:

> Hello everybody! I'm new here and i have a problem :) Sorry for my
> english :)
>
> I have a bacula server in my network, storage are at the same
> computer, it has grey IP address 192.168.100.2, i'm collecting
> backups from servers in my LAN, now i need to collect backup from
> dedicated servers in the internet, my lan connected to internet with
> gateway like this
>
> (BACULA_LAN)---->(GATEWAY)---->(INTERNET)---->(DEDICATD SERVER)
>
> How must i edit my bacula config so i can get backups from dedicated
> servers?
[...]

Bacula requires that the FD (File Daemon, a part of Bacula suite running
on your dedicated server) is able to connect to the SD (Storage Daemon,
a program which reads/writes storage media).  While it's technically
possible to port-forward required connections from the Internet to your
SD (by tweaking the firewall rules on your gateway), it's the Bacula
Director (the controlling daemon) which both talks with SD itself and
tells FDs which SD to connect to (and which authentication key to use
doing so).  Hence there's the problem of IP addresses: the Director
should tell that particular FD a public IP of your gateway; and
possibly also use it itself.

I don't know how to properly implement this as IIUC it's hard to run
several SDs on the same host -- you'll have to run two processes with
separate configuration files, and one of them will have to use a
non-standard TCP port.

So I'd say it could be simpler to implement a VPN on your dedicated
server.  This could be a "full-blown" solution like OpenVPN, or a more
trimmed-down one like an SSH tunnel.

You might also be interested in reading through this thread [1].

1. http://www.mail-archive.com/bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
net/msg55346.html