Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] why restore so slow after bscan?

2013-06-24 07:00:42
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] why restore so slow after bscan?
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: James Harper <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 12:57:36 +0200
Hello James,

Normally Bacula imports or creates everything from the bscanned
Volume that is needed to do proper restores.  It can possibly have
problems if your original job spanned two volumes and you only
bscanned one.

The other problem might be in your bacula-sd.conf file.  What
value do you have for Maximum File Size for the device you are
using?  The default is 1GB, which is the maximum any linear
search should be (on average Bacula will need to read
500MB to find a single file to restore).  If you have accidently
set this to a very big number thinking it is related to the max
size of the Volume, you will be in trouble (well, you will
have slow restores).  The name is really
not the most descriptive one I could have chosen :-(

You can check if Bacula is able to seek by listing the
JobMedia records for the Job in which the file to be
restore was backed up.  These are the index records
to the media for restore purposes.

Best regards,
Kern