Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Bacula Status

2008-10-02 12:53:42
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Bacula Status
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 12:50:36 -0400
On Oct 2, 2008, at 11:39 AM, Hemant Shah wrote:

> Kern,
>
>  When you add these features to the on-line documentation, it would
> be nice if there was a tag (maybe in the left margin) that provided
> the version of bacula that supported that option.

The online documentation is available in two forms:

The dev version
The released version

>  From reading this userlist I have noticed that many users install
> whatever is available in the software repository, which are old
> versions, and there are few users who stay one version behind for
> stability. When they read the documentation it is not clear whether
> a given option is supported in their version of bacula.

I disagree with your conclusion regarding who is running what.  I
think most people use whatever is released, not what is in the
repository.

What you are seeing on the list are people who are very active with
Bacula.  There are far many more users than are on this list, let
alone are posting to the lst.

The documentation for previous releases is available at installation
time (or should be; packages that do otherwise are defective
IMNSHO) .  In addition. documentation can be downloaded from the
website at any time.

I would like to have all released documentation online in HTML
format.  We lack resources (people) to do that.  Join the
documentation mailing list if you are interested.

--
Dan Langille
http://langille.org/