Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Bacula Status

2008-10-02 20:49:14
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Bacula Status
From: Hemant Shah <hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com>
To: bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net, Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 17:46:25 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Thu, 10/2/08, Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com> wrote:

> From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
> Subject: Re: [Bacula-devel] [Bacula-users] Bacula Status
> To: bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net, hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com
> Cc: "bacula-users" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>,
> bacula-users-fr AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
> Date: Thursday, October 2, 2008, 2:37 PM
> On Thursday 02 October 2008 17:39:25 Hemant Shah wrote:
> > Kern,
> >
> >   When you add these features to the on-line
> documentation, it would be
> > nice if there was a tag (maybe in the left margin)
> that provided the
> > version of bacula that supported that option.
> >
> >   From reading this userlist I have noticed that many
> users install
> > whatever is available in the software repository,
> which are old versions,
> > and there are few users who stay one version behind
> for stability. When
> > they read the documentation it is not clear whether a
> given option is
> > supported in their version of bacula.
>
> Adding a tag in the left margin is too hard to get correct
> and means a lot of
> maintenance at least at this point with the limited
> manpower we have.
>
> However, we hope to soon have multiple versions of the
> manual on the web site
> so that you can consult the manual that corresponds to your
> version.

  I am not sure how the manual is generated, maybe adding version in
paranthesis after the option would be easy:

e.g.  IgnoreDir (V3.0.0)

This way you only have to maintain one manual and if someone is reading a
manual and is using older version, he/she can easily make a decision whether
he/she should upgrade to the new version in order to use the new
option.

Hemant Shah
E-mail: hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com