Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Why do people use tapes?

2008-06-13 16:11:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Why do people use tapes?
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 16:11:33 -0400

John Drescher wrote:
>> Thinking of future, is there any chance that solid state devices (e.g. flash
>> disks) get cheap enough to obsolete tapes?
>>
> I believe so but this future is at least 10 years away probably
> significantly more.

If we're looking more than 10 years into the future, why be so mundane?
There are already prototypes for holographic storage and quantum storage
(though the quantum stuff is more in the pure research stage). Maybe
we'll be talking about slivers of holographic crystal rather than usb
memory keys.

In 1998 it would have been unlikely to accurately predict 4G usb memory
keys hanging off your keychain. We were still paying a lot for 4G disk
drives to put in servers, though larger drives were becoming available.

Library Archivists are still searching for the holy grail in digital
archival media and are not happy with anything currently available.
Think monks in the middle ages. They want something they can put on the
shelf and expect to last multiple human lifetimes. Even paper and ink
have to be special to meet their criteria. At present they are not
satisfied they can even meet one human lifetime with digital media.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator
 (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center