Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Why do people use tapes?

2008-06-15 11:23:08
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Why do people use tapes?
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Alan Brown" <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>, baculausers <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 11:22:58 -0400
> Consumer SSD prices are likely to be cheaper than rotating media by the end
> of the decade, however these are multibit per cell devices and not suitable
> for backup purposes. Single bit/cell devices are tracking along the same
> lines though and I'd give them another 5 years to achieve parity.

The main reason why I do not think that any technology will be able to
replace tape or hard drive in the next 10 years is that neither of
these have hit a capacity barrier yet and I expect to see both break
5TB in the next 10 years and do so at current drive/tape prices. This
will be very difficult for any SSD to match. I believe a very large
breakthrough would be necessary to drastically increase the densities
of current technologies or some new technology needs to be discovered.

John