Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Why do people use tapes?

2008-06-15 15:38:00
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Why do people use tapes?
From: Landon Fuller <landonf AT bikemonkey DOT org>
To: Kendall Shaw <kshaw AT kendallshaw DOT com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 12:37:50 -0700

On Jun 12, 2008, at 7:03 PM, Kendall Shaw wrote:

I suspect this is going to be a silly question. Since disk drives are
cheaper than tapes, I think. Why do people use tapes rather than hotplug
disks?

With the low price of SATA RAID, and the ability to implement fully automated offsite backups via simple network transfers, I don't see the value proposition of paying administrators and offsite storage providers to maintain most tape systems.

Live archival of 5 terabytes of (encrypted) backup data on S3 would run $768 a month, or $9216 a year ($0.15 per GB-Month of storage), and the archival can be fully automated -- requiring near-zero in personnel costs. Transit to S3 isn't free, of course, but neither is managing tape systems.

At my previous company, we set up Bacula in exactly this configuration. Set-and-forget, backups were streamed to S3. The entire company could be reconstituted from a USB thumb drive and an internet connection to S3, should catastrophe occur.

-landonf