BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Copyright protection

2016-05-21 17:41:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Copyright protection
From: David Cramblett <david AT functionalchaos DOT net>
To: s_peter AT swissonline DOT ch, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 14:40:39 -0700

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 1:11 PM, Stefan Peter <s_peter AT swissonline DOT ch> wrote:

There have been mentions of the infamous SCO trials. But there, the
situation is different: SCO claims that vast amounts of their code has
been lifted and transplanted in to the Linux kernel. And such claims can
be made by anyone, against any project. This is just lawyers having a
blast and investors gambling.

Yes, understood. We're just using SCO as the example that anyone (or any company) can sue someone, even with little or no merit.

I feel that this whole discussion is pointless and a real time sink. All
the effort going into this discussion would better be spent by working
on BackupPC and the infrastructure to support it. All I wanted to say is
that CDAs may not be legally possible for all contributors and that it
would require some institution which may have to be tightly controlled
in order to mitigate the risk of loosing the control over the project.

Time sink yes. Pointless, maybe not.