BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Copyright protection

2016-05-19 18:19:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Copyright protection
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: Stefan Peter <s_peter AT swissonline DOT ch>, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 17:19:15 -0500
On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 4:51 PM, Stefan Peter <s_peter AT swissonline DOT ch>
wrote:

> Salesman: Hey, this is our xyz product, it is so much better than the
> competition  and you can get a license for only $$$$!!!
> Customer: But it is Perl, so I can download it for free from the internet!
> Salesman: No, you can't, because we have added our secret sauce to Perl
> and because it is licensed under the Arthritic License, we do not have
> to reveal the secret! So you can only get it from us!!
> Customer: Ok, where do I have to sign?
>
> How does this relate to BackupPC?
>
> Not at all, I think. Because we do not want commercial business to
> resell "enriched" BackupPC applications.

Why not?  If someone had a commercial device that needed a bit of
proprietary code added to backuppc to access correctly, why would
anyone be against allowing it to be linked into backuppc?  That would
be the equivalent, say, of gluing a proprietary database client into a
perl module which is a better example of the need for dual-licensing.
Or even if someone created a much better user interface and packaged
it as a product - why would that be a problem as long as the original
still existed?