BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Copyright protection

2016-05-19 17:52:32
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Copyright protection
From: Stefan Peter <s_peter AT swissonline DOT ch>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 23:51:58 +0200
Dear Les Mikesell

On 19.05.2016 23:12, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 3:45 PM, Stefan Peter <s_peter AT swissonline DOT ch>
> wrote:
>>

>> How can an open source project defend against the misuse of their project?
>
> First you would have to define misuse - of something the author wanted
> to give away.   Personally, I think perl got it right with the
> dual-license that keeps it from being either locked into GPL-only code
> or locked out.

But Perl is a language, not a program. In order to be able to penetrate
into commercial entities, Perl had to have a non GPL license because GPL
does not allow modifications without open sourcing them. This is frowned
upon by companies beacuase of this:

Salesman: Hey, this is our xyz product, it is so much better than the
competition  and you can get a license for only $$$$!!!
Customer: But it is Perl, so I can download it for free from the internet!
Salesman: No, you can't, because we have added our secret sauce to Perl
and because it is licensed under the Arthritic License, we do not have
to reveal the secret! So you can only get it from us!!
Customer: Ok, where do I have to sign?

How does this relate to BackupPC?

Not at all, I think. Because we do not want commercial business to
resell "enriched" BackupPC applications. So we demand that whoever
enhances BackupPC does so by adhering to the GPL by opensourcing their
additions/modifications. Re-licensing or dual-licensing under one of the
permissive licenses would open the door to the scenario above. Whatever
Perl (or Apache or OpenOffice or ..) has done in regards of licensing
does not automatically server or apply to BackupPC.

With kind regards

Stefan Peter