BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Copyright protection

2016-05-19 17:12:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Copyright protection
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: Stefan Peter <s_peter AT swissonline DOT ch>, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 16:12:20 -0500
On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 3:45 PM, Stefan Peter <s_peter AT swissonline DOT ch>
wrote:

> How can an open source project defend against the misuse of their project?

First you would have to define misuse - of something the author wanted
to give away.   Personally, I think perl got it right with the
dual-license that keeps it from being either locked into GPL-only code
or locked out.   That is, any use is good use.   I assume everyone
here is OK with using perl - and trusts that its license is such that
we can continue to expect it to be available and usable in the
future...   But it is almost certainly too late to change anything
with backuppc even if the copyright owner(s) wanted to.