BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Poor BackupPC Performance

2011-07-26 20:57:47
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Poor BackupPC Performance
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 19:55:46 -0500
On 7/26/11 3:13 PM, C. Ronoz wrote:

> I would love to use BackupPC and if I can get it to speeds of 4 or 5 MB per
> second I would be thrilled. I just benchmarked both a BackupPC and Bacula
> back-up (not simultanously) and BackupPC ran 3 hours, 10 minutes for 15GB,
> while Bacula did it in 17 minutes.

Some things that will kill performance:

Lots of tiny files, especially combined with a shortage of RAM (rsync transfers
the entire directory listing and holds it in memory before starting the
transfer).

Huge sparse files (but not many other things handle them well either).

Running in a VM.  Worst case is probably a VM with an LVM on a virtual disk
with
sparse allocation (growing as needed).

Anything else with activity on the same physical disk competing for head
position.