BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Poor BackupPC Performance

2011-07-26 17:24:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Poor BackupPC Performance
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 16:45:59 -0400
"C. Ronoz" <chronoz AT eproxy DOT nl> wrote on 07/26/2011 04:13:28 PM:

> I would love to use BackupPC and if I can get it to speeds of 4 or 5
> MB per second I would be thrilled. I just benchmarked both a
> BackupPC and Bacula back-up (not simultanously) and BackupPC ran 3
> hours, 10 minutes for 15GB, while Bacula did it in 17 minutes.

OK.  15,000MB in 17 minutes = 140Mb/s.  That's reasonably sporty for a backup but perfectly doable.  3 hours is more like 13Mb/s.  That is way too slow.  So why is yours running so slow?

What is the CPU utilization during the BackupPC backup?  What is the network utilization?  What is the disk utilization?  Is the machine swapping?  Is it doing something else?

Start with "vmstat 1" on the BackupPC box and watch it.  See what the usage pattern looks like.  Try to find out what is limiting your performance.

We've been trying to tell you that you're seeing abnormal performance.  I get much better performance with a single 1.5GHz VIA processor, 512MB RAM and a single SATA spindle.  Something is wrong here.  We are not going to be able to tell you what:  you will have to dig a little deeper and see what your machine is doing during a backup.

Timothy J. Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com