BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Poor BackupPC Performance

2011-07-26 00:32:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Poor BackupPC Performance
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "C. Ronoz" <chronoz AT eproxy DOT nl>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 06:30:48 +0200
Hi,

C. Ronoz wrote on 2011-07-26 05:54:31 +0200 [[BackupPC-users] Poor BackupPC
Performance]:
> [...]
> Unfortunately it's performance is a 10-fold lower on my servers.
>
> Host          User            #Full           Full Age (days)         Full
> Size (GB)          Speed (MB/s)            #Incr           Incr Age (days)
>      Last Backup (days)      State           Last attempt
> [unreadable quoted table deleted]
> What performance have users here reached in terms of MB/sec for complete
> servers? And how poor is the 1.5MB/sec average I am having here?

this comes up frequently. Usually, the problem is sitting in front of the
screen. Have you actually got a problem, or are the numbers just confusing
you? Probably the latter, else you would be quoting facts ("my backups are
taking ... for ... GB"), not statistics ("BackupPC says it has transferred
... MB/s. Some other program required more bandwidth, so BackupPC's
performance must be poor").

I'm considering a feature request to always display "GB/s" as unit on the web
page (and a number between 1 and 9 as value). Or to make it removable by
configuration (with the default being "off"). At the very least, the numbers
should be scaled up to correspond to what naive users might compare them to.
Exact figures of what is actually happening are only meaningful to people who
understand what is actually happening.

Regards,
Holger