BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Poor BackupPC Performance

2011-07-26 01:26:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Poor BackupPC Performance
From: "C. Ronoz" <chronoz AT eproxy DOT nl>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 07:24:18 +0200
> this comes up frequently. Usually, the problem is sitting in front of the
> screen. Have you actually got a problem, or are the numbers just confusing
> you? Probably the latter, else you would be quoting facts ("my backups are
> taking ... for ... GB"), not statistics ("BackupPC says it has transferred
> ... MB/s. Some other program required more bandwidth, so BackupPC's
> performance must be poor").
I don't know what to do with your answer to be honest as it seems mostly a
personal insult from a person who hasn't read or understood something
correctly. The BackupPC statistics are pretty obvious and I am wondering if
BackupPC performance of 1.5MB per second is normal as other alternatives as
Amanda, Bacula and rsync easily reach throughput rates of 15-20MB per second.
But I'd prefer using BackupPC.

Everything is currently fine, except for a poor performance. The highest
performing back-ups are done with 2.5MB per second and the slowest with 300KB
per second. The most crowded server has 15,3GB worth of data, the smallest one
has about 2GB of data.

>I'm considering a feature request to always display "GB/s" as unit on the web
>page (and a number between 1 and 9 as value). Or to make it removable by
>configuration (with the default being "off"). At the very least, the numbers
>should be scaled up to correspond to what naive users might compare them to.
>Exact figures of what is actually happening are only meaningful to people who
>understand what is actually happening.
Then your assumption is I have no idea what the statistics mean? MB per second
seems pretty obvious here.

This was the initial run of the (plesk01) server lasting 212(!) minutes for
only 15GB of data. A simple calculation 15000/(212*60) shows a back-up
performance of 1.5MB per second. With loads of <0.1 and 1gbit network cards, it
seems BackupPC should be able to do much better?
0       full    yes     0       7/24 07:29      212.8   2.0
/var/lib/BackupPC//pc/plesk01/0

If you need me to provide more information, please let me know! I do not know
what more info would be helpful.