BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Poor BackupPC Performance

2011-07-26 16:15:36
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Poor BackupPC Performance
From: "C. Ronoz" <chronoz AT eproxy DOT nl>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 22:13:28 +0200
> Les Mikesell:
You are right. With speeds of 1.5MB per second, usage of BackupPC would still
be possible. Although recovering 15GB of data in case of crisis, taking 3
hours, I am not sure I'd want to use BackupPC if performance is that slow.

Maximum speed is not that important, although I would have to switch to
inferior back-up software or even self-written rsyncs if slowest speeds are a
few hundred kB/sec and topping out at a mere 2MB per second.

> Do you have gigabit network cards? You can get them for under $20 easily.
Yes. All servers have gigabit network cards.

> Are you using SATA drives in your system? Drives are cheap.
Yes, drives have a throughput of 60 to 110 MB per second. This differs per
server.

> Do you have CAT6 cable?
Yes, high quality UTP cables.

> Are you upgraded to the latest version of Linux and BackupPC? I noticed
> wonderful improvements after upgrading.
I am running the BackupPC 3.1 for CentOS 5.6 via EPEL. Although performance on
a Debian server was identical.

> This is using SMB, by the way.
I use the default settings, I beleive it's rsync. I could post my configuration
file if that would be helpful.

I would love to use BackupPC and if I can get it to speeds of 4 or 5 MB per
second I would be thrilled. I just benchmarked both a BackupPC and Bacula
back-up (not simultanously) and BackupPC ran 3 hours, 10 minutes for 15GB,
while Bacula did it in 17 minutes.
---