BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backup of backuppc and schedule

2010-03-10 11:33:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backup of backuppc and schedule
From: Sylvain Viart - Gmail <sylvain.viart AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 17:31:14 +0100
Les,

> But, your real problem is that even if you get the scheme mostly
> working, you will not be able to restore a primary backuppc server to a
> usable state in a reasonable amount of time.  Most people aren't able to
> do this even with more efficient schemes like native rsync.  And you
> won't be able to use the files directly like you might if you did
> straight rsync or an image copy.

Totally.

In fact, I think another idea.

Why not using the Precommand to

# stop the backup violently
/etc/init.d/backuppc stop

# extract every hosts
for host in /etc/backuppc/hosts
    extract the last backup for $host | ssh to_secondary_backup
/local/image/$host
done

# if I could do diff rsync would be better

nothing to really backup  on this host, would be localhost (secondary
backup) may be.
/etc/init.d/backuppc start

> Try a test restore to see if it is worth the fight.

in progress...

> You have the magic wand in the form of the pre/post commands that you
> can run on a target.

yep, I've put some bash's runes over it! ;-)

Is there a good section on the wiki for that?
(not for magic wand making, but for the bash script!!)

Thanks for your suggestions.
Regards,
Sylvain.

--