BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backup of backuppc and schedule

2010-03-10 06:15:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backup of backuppc and schedule
From: Sylvain Viart - Gmail <sylvain.viart AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 12:12:41 +0100
Hi,

[...]
My question in fact is about interpreting current config?

or a debug mode which interprets all the schedule?

The problem is that for each host I want to backup, will take 14h hour
or more for the backup to complete.
So I have to wait many days to see the result, and if I continue as it,
will take month to setup the right timing. :-(

Just add the hosts at the time you want each to start. Or go to the
cancel backup screen and put in a time to wait before starting.

Sorry, that's not the point, I think, I didn't explained the good things. :-)

I blackout the remote host to backup, so the remote backup, will be "frozen" buring backup.

Of course the blackout behavior is a good thing for backup purpose.
I mean, it's better to exclude dir, than to miss a new not included dir,
form a backup point of view.

More relevant, you want the server to manage concurrency and to use
whatever time window it can without breaking other things.

You're right another point for backuppc!

My problem, is that I want to have a more grained management on the time window. But doing that in the reverse fashion of the BlackOutPeriod, is really a pain.

That's why I would like to have a somewhat debug out of what backuppc will "understand" of my config.
Because every thing is linked :
  • Monday backuppc-01
  • Wednesday backuppc-03
  • Friday backuppc-02
  • etc.
And on each host a 1 day blackout period, also setuped.

$Conf{BlackoutPeriods} = [
    # #741
    # pas de backup le jeudi, c'est lui qui se fait backupé !
    {
    hourBegin =>  0,
    hourEnd   => 23,
    weekDays  => [4],
    },
    {
    hourBegin =>  10.0,
    hourEnd   => 22.0,
    weekDays  => [1, 2, 3, 5],
    },
    # le WE c'est la fête !
];

Then it is left up to you to handle concurrency - and you probably can't
do that as well as the server since you don't know when any backup will
finish.

Yes you're right.
But I prefer to handle the concurrency because IO and consistency will be a nightmare, if backup overlap.

I may be, I'm on the wrong way.

Actually, I think scheduling is going to be the least of your problems
in trying to make one backuppc instance back up others.  I'd expect it
to take weeks to restore one to a point where it would be usable again.
  I'd test that before going much farther.

Thanks, I gonna try that also.
I also think It will be long, and may be it's a bad idea to backup that way...
Time will show me.

Regards,
Sylvain.
--