BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backup of backuppc and schedule

2010-03-09 08:45:53
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backup of backuppc and schedule
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 07:44:17 -0600
Sylvain Viart - Gmail wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've a backup server which goal is to backup other backuppc servers.
>
> So I've few hosts to backup, but they are pretty heavy, but not that
> much compared to other Thread. :-)
>
> As described many times, backup use a best effort policy, trying to
> start backup when it is allowed to do so, and when it detects than a
> host is due to be backuped.
>
> So I've found:
>
>> It's possible to schedule a backup. Just disable backups of that host, and
>> schedule the backup using cron.
>>
>> http://backuppc.wiki.sourceforge.net/serverMesg_commands
>>

> sounds an alternative, but, could be nice to achieve it the backuppc's way.
>
> My question in fact is about interpreting current config?
> Is there tools which displays when a host will be backuped given the
> current full configuration?

Not exactly, but if you look at the host summary page you can figure it out.  A
backup happens when the time since the last backup (which is shown) reaches the
time you've set for the backup interval, and it will start at the first wakeup
that is not in a blackout interval.

> For my purpose, I would like to backup hosts one per day, and a
> particular day for each host.

If you run a backup manually, the schedule will stay about the same as long a
the machine stays up because the scheduling is based on elapsed time
afterwards.
  But, you can probably control things by setting the blackout periods for the
times you don't want backups to start for each host.