BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backup of backuppc and schedule, is it archive?

2010-03-12 11:54:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backup of backuppc and schedule, is it archive?
From: Sylvain Viart - Gmail <sylvain.viart AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 17:52:26 +0100
Hi,

> Maybe it would be easier to reverse the concept and do a straight rsync to an
> intermediate disk location at the primary site, keeping only one copy there,
> letting the remote backuppc copy that and keep all the history.  That has the
> downside of having to write your own rsync scripts for the local copy or
> finding
> something else, but would be a more efficient approach since you don't have to
> copy in and out of backuppc's storage format all the time.

Yes !
But the effort of writing the new rsync 'in between' seems not so easy.

Because of each host config in backuppc, need to be respected.
May be a wrapper of the original rsync command used by backuppc.

But your suggestion seems good.
Because, I've the same sort of result on the secondary, a full tree with
every host.

I had to rethink about the whole picture.

The storage is best on my secondary, but it is off site for all final
host target.

what about the purge, on the middle storage, rsync --delete ?

>> What is the bottleneck?
>>
> You are making the primary backuppc server copy everything in and out of
> backuppc format - and I was thinking you were feeding the tar extract to the
> secondary needing bandwidth for the complete copy.  If you extract on the
> primary, at least you can use rsync from the secondary.

right.

I will extract a full 200Gb each time.
Which need to be optimized...

Study of your other suggestions, about how to approach the "scheduler
simulator" and the "blackout generator", next time.
Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Sylvain.

--