BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backup of backuppc and schedule, is it archive?

2010-03-12 12:18:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backup of backuppc and schedule, is it archive?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 11:16:44 -0600
On 3/12/2010 10:52 AM, Sylvain Viart - Gmail wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Maybe it would be easier to reverse the concept and do a straight rsync to an
>> intermediate disk location at the primary site, keeping only one copy there,
>> letting the remote backuppc copy that and keep all the history.  That has the
>> downside of having to write your own rsync scripts for the local copy or
>> finding
>> something else, but would be a more efficient approach since you don't have
>> copy in and out of backuppc's storage format all the time.
>>
> Yes !
> But the effort of writing the new rsync 'in between' seems not so easy.
>
> Because of each host config in backuppc, need to be respected.
> May be a wrapper of the original rsync command used by backuppc.

That would depend on how complicated the configs are.  It might be as
simple as a shell loop that reads a file with lines containing hostnames
and paths to back up, cd's to a directory named for each host and
running the appropriate rsync commends there.  Good error handling could
be a problem, though.

> But your suggestion seems good.
> Because, I've the same sort of result on the secondary, a full tree with
> every host.
>
> I had to rethink about the whole picture.
>
> The storage is best on my secondary, but it is off site for all final
> host target.
>
> what about the purge, on the middle storage, rsync --delete ?

Yes, that would work - although you do set up a scenario where if the
target dies in mid-backup you have an inconsistent snapshot since you
only have one local copy.  Or if a mount point is unmounted, you'd wipe
the previous copy - but you could recover from those hopefully unlikely
events from the secondary backuppc copy which could hold some history.