BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backup of backuppc and schedule, intermediate rsyncalbe storage

2010-03-23 04:26:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backup of backuppc and schedule, intermediate rsyncalbe storage
From: Sylvain Viart - Gmail <sylvain.viart AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 09:23:50 +0100
Hi,

Context: install a secondary backuppc which will backuping some  primary
backuppc servers, on more than 2 locations.
No need to keep history on the secondary backuppc, only the last full backup

Idea, from Les, for minimizing bandwidth:

> Maybe it would be easier to reverse the concept and do a straight
> rsync to an
> intermediate disk location at the primary site, keeping only one copy
> there

Constraint, the "intermediate disk location" is on the primary site. (or
each location if we repeat the same strategy)
The storage is deported a an other host, keeping bandwidth local at the
primary site (or on the primary, depending of local storage).

We should be able to backup twice the "intermediate disk location", one
time for the primary, another for the secondary, each using rsync diff.
The "intermediate disk location" is a mirror of each host, backuped by
the primary backuppc.
A snapshot.
The idea is to not backup the physical host twice, but only its mirror.

May be we could setup the primary to create and maintain the mirror by
its configuration....

> That would depend on how complicated the configs are.  It might be as
> simple as a shell loop that reads a file with lines containing hostnames
> and paths to back up, cd's to a directory named for each host and
> running the appropriate rsync commends there.  Good error handling could
> be a problem, though.

is seems like what backuppc does, right?
how does it perform that task?

> DESCRIPTION
>
> File::RsyncP is a perl implementation of an Rsync client. It is
> compatible with Rsync 2.5.5 - 2.6.3 (protocol versions 26-28). It can
> send or receive files, either by running rsync on the remote machine,
> or connecting to an rsyncd deamon on the remote machine.
>
> What use is File::RsyncP? The main purpose is that File::RsyncP
> separates all file system I/O into a separate module, which can be
> replaced by any module of your own design. This allows rsync
> interfaces to non-filesystem data types (eg: databases) to be
> developed with relative ease.
>
> File::RsyncP was initially written to provide an Rsync interface for
> BackupPC, http://backuppc.sourceforge.net. See BackupPC for
> programming examples.

hum, its possible to use this "non-filesystem data types" to rsync diff
from it?

I'm trying to hack something around:

$Conf{RsyncClientCmd} = '/etc/backuppc/rsync_mirror_wrapper.sh $sshPath
-C -o CompressionLevel=6 -q -x -l root $host $rsyncPath $argList+';

Which should do:

save all the parameters
ssh to the "intermediate disk location"
execute the rsync between the current storage and $host with the parameters.
rexecute the rsync in a chroot on the "intermediate disk location" for
backuppc

I gonna try... :-)

Regards,
Sylvain.