BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backup of backuppc and schedule

2010-03-09 11:23:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backup of backuppc and schedule
From: Sylvain Viart - Gmail <sylvain.viart AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 17:21:36 +0100
Hi,

>> My question in fact is about interpreting current config?
>> Is there tools which displays when a host will be backuped given the
>> current full configuration?
>>
> Not exactly, but if you look at the host summary page you can figure it out.
> backup happens when the time since the last backup (which is shown) reaches
> the
> time you've set for the backup interval, and it will start at the first wakeup
> that is not in a blackout interval.

hum, not really.
You're right, but for example backuppc started a backup somewhat during
my editing of the config files.
And the summary looks like :

> Host backuppc-05 Backup Summary
>
> This PC has never been backed up!!
>
>     * This PC is used by backuppc.
>     * Last status is state "idle" (backup canceled by user) as of
> 2010-03-09 16:51.
>     * Last error is "fileListReceive failed".
>     * Pings to backuppc-05 have succeeded 1 consecutive times.

Which seems totally useless.
may be a debug mode?

The problem is that for each host I want to backup, will take 14h hour
or more for the backup to complete.
So I have to wait many days to see the result, and if I continue as it,
will take month to setup the right timing. :-(

worse, I probably need to stop the backup on the host, because it's a
backuppc server.
hum, another $Conf{BlackoutPeriods} , should probably do the job on the
remote host here.

Of course the blackout behavior is a good thing for backup purpose.
I mean, it's better to exclude dir, than to miss a new not included dir,
form a backup point of view.

It's the same for blackout, unfortunately, it's not very human friendly.
:-)

May be the backuppc schedule engine could be hacked in some way to
produce a simulation tool?

>> For my purpose, I would like to backup hosts one per day, and a
>> particular day for each host.
>>
> If you run a backup manually, the schedule will stay about the same as long a
> the machine stays up because the scheduling is based on elapsed time
> afterwards.
>    But, you can probably control things by setting the blackout periods for
> the
> times you don't want backups to start for each host.

It may ends with crontab scheduling.

I will post back other userfull parameter I found about that.
Yes, BlackoutPeriod to stop remote host a specific day + a cron on the
backup server, will be easyier to setup.
I gonna try that.

Instead of  reversing this behavior in full BlackoutPeriod syntax. :-)
KISS principle.

Thanks for suggestions.

Regards,
Sylvain.