BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Noob questions

2009-05-22 14:52:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Noob questions
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 13:48:04 -0500
Daniel Carrera wrote:

> 1) Does BackupPC detect file corruption? The way I deal with file
> corruption is that once a week I give rsync the --check flag.

Yes, when using rsync as the xfer method, 'full' backups do the block
checksum comparison on everything while 'incremental' runs skip files
where the timestamp and length match the base copy (normally the last
full but you can adjust it to include other incrementals in the
comparison base).

> 2) To backup my wife's computer I run "rsync -e ssh". Is that what
> BackupPC does?

Yes, that is one of the choices and probably the best.

> 3) My wife's computer is a dual-boot with Windows, so her Linux is
> "usually but not always" on. My own computer is a laptop, and it is
> "usually but not always" connected. The backup media is an external
> disk, so it is "usually but not always" plugged in. Can BackupPC handle
> this setup?
>
> The way my current script works, I run the following every 2 hours:
>
> if [ -d /my/external/disk ]; then
>      cd /my/external/disk
>      rsync -a -e ssh <wifes-computer> latest
>      if [ ! -d $TODAY ]; then
>          cp -al latest $TODAY
>      fi
> fi
>

> So, basically, I sync whenever I can reach both the external disk and
> wifey's computer. And once a day I make a backup using hard links.
>
> Can BackupPC do something similar to solve the problem of the computers,
> the server and even the backup media not being always available?

It normally checks once an hour for any computers where the time between
backups has elapsed so the scheduling will accommodate unavailable
targets.  It doesn't have a concept of it's archive directory being
gone, though.  You'll probably have to start and stop the service when
you connect/remove it.