BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] maximum clients/data

2008-11-26 14:35:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] maximum clients/data
From: tmassey AT obscorp DOT com
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 09:37:16 -0500
"Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org> wrote on 11/26/2008
02:15:43
PM:

>  > I'm still not sure why people say they need multi-GB of RAM and
multi-GHz
>  > CPU's for their BackupPC servers.  I *just* don't see why:  I've got
>  > pool >600GB on a *tiny* box (without compression, anyway).  Maybe if
>  > you've got >1TB of pool data or multi-millions of files you *might*
need a
>  > little more RAM (and I don't think that is the case), but I *still*
don't
>  > see why you'd need more than 1GB of RAM, and still no more CPU power.

>  > Again, you need a many-drive RAID array *way* more than you do need
CPU or
>  > RAM.
>  >
>  > Maybe I'm the only person who's running BackupPC on a box this small.
 But
>  > I've got about a *dozen* of these boxes scattered around various
clients,
>  > backing up between 10 and 600GB of data.  They *all* run flawlessly.
>  >
> Well, there are definitely people running BackupPC on smaller
> systems...
>
> A number of people are running BackupPC on small embedded systems like
> the d-link DNS-323 NAS device.
> That device has only 64MB of RAM of which 16MB is used as a ramdisk!
> It uses an arm processor running at about 400-500MHz and I don't think
> it even has a floating point processor.

OK, that redefines "tiny".  Anyone running it on a cell phone?  :)

Actually, my 2-year-old Treo 700p has the same CPU and memory!  How about
a Linksys *router*? :)

> Now at that level, I have found that memory makes a difference when I
> try to rsync the pool since rsync compiles a list of all the hard link
> inodes and that takes up (some) memory...

We're just talking about running BackupPC normally, not rsyncing the
entire pool.  Is your box configured for swap?  If so, does it swap while
doing a backup?  If not, then I feel guilty about *wasting* all that RAM:
after all, I'm giving it 512MB!  :)

Tim Massey