BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] maximum clients/data

2008-11-26 12:16:57
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] maximum clients/data
From: tmassey AT obscorp DOT com
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 07:18:11 -0500
chantal AT antenna DOT nl wrote on 11/26/2008 10:40:13 AM:

> Is there some way to determine approximately how many clients (or how
> much data) can be backup up with backuppc?

Via EPIA EN 1.2GHz processor, 512MB RAM, single 750GB PATA hard drive
backs up 4 different servers, with a total data storage of ~600GB:  2 x
~250GB servers, the remaining servers with less than 50GB between them.
Full backups weekly, incrementals daily.  Oh, and this is over 100Mbit.

Everybody freaks out about the amount of RAM: they tell me I need more for
better speed.  However, I've watched vmstat throughout the process and the
swap BI/BO remains at 0.

However, this is about the limit of the box.  On the big servers the fulls
take about 600 minutes to complete.  The incrementals takes less than an
hour.  All told, we get it all done easily in the 12-hour backup window,
even if they both run at the same time.

Beyond this capacity, you'd probably be able to do it if you more
carefully managed which servers do fulls at what time.  I don't need the
hassle:  at this location, I have two BackupPC servers so that I don't
have to.  Besides, at the time I built these, 750GB drives were the
largest you could get, and I preferred using separate servers rather than
going to an internal RAID array.

Tim Massey