BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] maximum clients/data

2008-11-26 11:43:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] maximum clients/data
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 17:42:09 +0100
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 04:40:13PM +0100, chantal AT antenna DOT nl wrote:

> Is there some way to determine approximately how many clients (or how
> much data) can be backup up with backuppc?
>
> (For example, the server has a dualcore 2Ghz processor, 1000mb ram,
> backups are made with rsync method, clients are on a LAN with 100mb
> network cards and switches, you want a weekly full and a daily
> incremental backup)

You really want more RAM! It is pretty cheap nowadays.
I've got a quad-core Xeon 1.6 GHz which backs up 24 servers. The pool is
about 440 GB, total backup volume is about 4.1 TB (271 full, 200 incr
backups), all bacukps are using rsync. The server used to have only 2 GB
of RAM and although it did not swap, it was pretty slow and hardly
managed to back up half of the servers each night. Since I added another
4 GB, it manages to backup almost all of the servers each night.
Largest backup is 120 GB consisting of over 2.2 million files.

> I use backuppc backupservers for different small networks and I am
> pretty happy with it, but I have the impression that it is a lot
> slower then for example bacula. I'm not sure whether I could improve
> it by changing the settings or that my impression that it is slower is
> true. I'm not looking for a solution to a specific problem but I would
> like to determine how scalable backuppc is.

Bacula doesn't have a pool with lots of files and directories and AFAIK
does not use rsync, which requires more RAM and CPU than plain copying.
With Linux, additional RAM will be used as disk cache which is very
valuable with the filesystem usage pattern of BackupPC.

Hope that helps,

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de
www.craniosacralzentrum.de