BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] maximum clients/data

2008-11-27 23:24:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] maximum clients/data
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 21:21:05 -0700
I also find that IO is the most prominent bottleneck for backuppc backups.  If you use some sort of monitoring software that can track CPU and IO usage, you will notice that IO is maxed while the CPU averages very low percentages.  This is probably the biggest reason to use local storage and not NFS storage for backuppc pools.  I currently use linux software raid on top of an adaptec raid card as this config uses the adaptec's cache(256MB) but offers the flexibility of linux software raid.  I used to run the same disks on the onboard SATA controllers on my tyan motherboard but had a spare adaptec SATA/SAS raid card and noticed a substantial gain with the cache on the adaptec card.

I'm sure many people on the list here are sick of hearing about zfs but I have a test box running nexenta core with zfs.  Without any specific cache disks or anything zfs is super fast at IO.

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 2:08 PM, <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com> wrote:
Ski Kacoroski <kacoroski AT gmail DOT com> wrote on 11/27/2008 02:22:59 PM:

> If you have the bandwidth to backup directly to a remote site you can
> avoid Bacula and tapes, if not then you will need tapes and something
> like Bacula to get offsite backups.

Not necessarily.  That's what archives are for.  Personally, I archive to
removable IDE hard drives.  Hard to beat the cost/MB...

Tim Massey