BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] maximum clients/data

2008-11-26 11:42:14
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] maximum clients/data
From: Rob Owens <rob.owens AT biochemfluidics DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 11:40:10 -0500
chantal AT antenna DOT nl wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Is there some way to determine approximately how many clients (or how
> much data) can be backup up with backuppc?
>
> (For example, the server has a dualcore 2Ghz processor, 1000mb ram,
> backups are made with rsync method, clients are on a LAN with 100mb
> network cards and switches, you want a weekly full and a daily
> incremental backup)
>
> I use backuppc backupservers for different small networks and I am
> pretty happy with it, but I have the impression that it is a lot
> slower then for example bacula. I'm not sure whether I could improve
> it by changing the settings or that my impression that it is slower is
> true. I'm not looking for a solution to a specific problem but I would
> like to determine how scalable backuppc is.

If I were you, I'd test with 'iftop' on the BackupPC server.  That'll
tell you how much bandwidth you're using.  If you're just about
saturating your 100mb NIC, then BackupPC is not slowing you down.

Check 'iftop' when backing up a single host, and again when backing up a
few hosts.

Note that rsync takes some time to compile the file list, during which
time it uses very little bandwidth.  You might want to see how long it
takes to compile the file list under various circumstances.  Be sure to
test it for both full and incremental backups (fulls take much longer).

-Rob

incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.