BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] maximum clients/data

2008-11-26 14:05:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] maximum clients/data
From: tmassey AT obscorp DOT com
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 09:07:04 -0500
Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de> wrote on 11/26/2008 01:24:47 PM:

> > > Have you looked at the wait column (last one) in vmstat?
> >
> > As in iowait?  Usually the CPU is "100%" used, but much of it is
iowait
> > (~40-60%, IIRC).  Of course, you *expect* that:  I'm I/O bound, after
all,
> > with only a single IDE hard drive...  Also, I'm not using compression,

> > which is also why I'm not worried about CPU.
>
> In my version of vmstat, iowait is not accounted to CPU usage (SuSE
> 10.2).

You are right:  I think it's the same on mine (CentOS 5.2).  I'm thinking
of top, where the total CPU is shown as 100%.

But the point holds:  I have lots of unused CPU, even with an *anemic*
EPIA @ 1.2GHz.

I'm still not sure why people say they need multi-GB of RAM and multi-GHz
CPU's for their BackupPC servers.  I *just* don't see why:  I've got a
pool >600GB on a *tiny* box (without compression, anyway).  Maybe if
you've got >1TB of pool data or multi-millions of files you *might* need a
little more RAM (and I don't think that is the case), but I *still* don't
see why you'd need more than 1GB of RAM, and still no more CPU power.
Again, you need a many-drive RAID array *way* more than you do need CPU or
RAM.

Maybe I'm the only person who's running BackupPC on a box this small.  But
I've got about a *dozen* of these boxes scattered around various clients,
backing up between 10 and 600GB of data.  They *all* run flawlessly.

Oh, and a *BIG* thank you to Craig for this.  BackupPC lets me sleep
better at night.

Tim Massey