BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] maximum clients/data

2008-11-27 14:25:33
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] maximum clients/data
From: Ski Kacoroski <kacoroski AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 11:22:59 -0800
As far as I am concerned, BackupPC scales very well.  I run 200 - 250
clients onto 3 year old single proc, 1GB ram, and (4) 250GB sata disks
in a raid 5.  The limiting factor is the I/O throughput.  I am in the
process of moving the data to a large NAS and can now run more clients
on a BackupPC server.

If you have the bandwidth to backup directly to a remote site you can
avoid Bacula and tapes, if not then you will need tapes and something
like Bacula to get offsite backups.

cheers,

ski

On Thu, 2008-11-27 at 08:18 +0100, chantal AT antenna DOT nl wrote:
> Thanks everyone, this information is very helpful :) Any more thoughts
> on backuppc compared to other backupsoftware (for example bacula) in
> terms of scalability?
>
> regards Chantal

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it
 connected to the entire universe"            John Muir

Chris "Ski" Kacoroski, kacoroski AT gmail DOT com, 206-501-9803
or ski98033 on most IM services