BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Working Well - Except Archiving

2008-11-19 03:19:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Working Well - Except Archiving
From: jkewley <samk-01 AT ntlworld DOT com>
To: Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 8:17:18 +0000
Craig Barratt Wrote

> From: Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
> Date: 2008/11/18 Tue PM 09:57:39 GMT
> To: "samk-01 AT ntlworld DOT com" <samk-01 AT ntlworld DOT com>
> CC: "backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net"
>       <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
> Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Working Well - Except Archiving
>
> SamK writes:
>
> > I am struggling to create an archive from the command line.  The desired
> > outcome is to emulate the clicking of the "Start Archive" button in the web
> > page as this method is working perfectly.  The overall objective is to
> > create the archive as a cron job.
> >
> > >From /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_archive
> > Extract Start
> > # BackupPC_archive: Archive files for an archive client.
> > #
> > # DESCRIPTION
> > #
> > #   Usage: BackupPC_archive <user> <archiveclient> <reqFileName>
> > Extract End
> >
> > I cannot find the definitions of <user> <archiveclient> <reqFileName> and
> > all permutations of my guesses of what might be required have all failed.
> > Can anyone help or indicate where the definitions are listed?
>
> BackupPC_archive isn't very easy to use directly: reqFileName is the
> path of a file (output from perl's Data::Dumper) with information
> about what to archive.
>
> BackupPC_archiveStart is much easier to use.  It creates a reqFile
> and then tells the BackupPC server to run the archive.
>
> Craig

One of my earlier emails on this topic mentioned that BackupPC_archiveStart was
not included in backuppc_3.0.0.-4ubuntu1_all-deb obtained from the main Ubuntu
repository. (it is not listed in the .deb package filelist).  Having read a
warning in the BackupPC documentation not to mix files from different sources I
assumed this had been deliberately omitted in favour of BackupPC_archive, and
was therefore (mistakenly) attempting to use that file.  Is a copy of
BackupPC_archiveStart suitable for Ubuntu8.04-Server LTS available anywhere?

Les Mikesell Wrote:
> If you are going to do it from the command line, why not start with
> BackupPC_tarCreate and set up your own pipeline for compress/split or
> whatever options you want.

This was unsuccessfully attempted, but I do not know why it failed.
SamK-01 Wrote:
> An archive is successfully created when started from within the web page.
> This produces a log-file with the following entry:
> Executing: /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_archiveHost
> /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_tarCreate /usr/bin/split home---tom 10
> /bin/gzip .gz 0000000 /var/lib/backuppc/pc/whole---all_backups *

> In a terminal running exactly the same command line as user = backuppc
> returns:
> Usage: /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_archiveHost tarCreatePath splitPath
> parPath host bkupNum compPath fileExt splitSize outLoc parFile share

SamK-01