BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Working Well - Except Archiving

2008-11-21 09:32:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Working Well - Except Archiving
From: "Nils Breunese (Lemonbit)" <nils AT lemonbit DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 15:30:21 +0100
SamK wrote:

> QUESTIONS:
> 01 The format of the command line required by BackupPC_archiveStart
> is <archiveHost> <userName> <hosts>.  Is is possible to specify
> multiple <hosts> without explicitly listing each of them at the
> command line?  (perhaps a wildcard) I have tried an asterisk without
> success.

Asterisks are normally expanded by your shell to a list of files in
the current directory. I don't believe there is an 'all' option. You
could just list them, or grep/awk them from your hosts file or
something.

> 02 I would like to conduct actions prior and post creating an
> archive. Specifically mounting a Truecrypt encrypted removable
> disk.  The following command line works exactly as required when
> executed at the command line as user = backuppc but fails when used
> in archiveHost.pl.
> Command line version
> /bin/echo password | /usr/bin/truecrypt --text --keyfiles="" --
> protect-hidden=no --password=password --mount /dev/sdd1 /media/
> backups-archived
>
> archiveHost.pl version
> $Conf{ArchivePreUserCmd} = '/bin/echo password | /usr/bin/truecrypt
> --text --keyfiles="" --protect-hidden=no --password=password --
> mount /dev/sdd1 /media/backups-archived';
>
> Is this the correct file in which to list pre/post archive commands?
>
> Is there a syntax flaw in the construction of my
> $Conf{ArchivePreUserCmd}?

I believe your are going to run this as a cronjob, right? Why not make
a three line script (mount image, archive+gzip, unmount) and run that
from cron? Then you don't need to mess with any pre or post commands
in BackupPC. Just an idea.

Nils Breunese.