BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Working Well - Except Archiving

2008-11-17 09:14:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Working Well - Except Archiving
From: <samk-01 AT ntlworld DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 14:13:09 +0000
Having read the Description within the files BackupPC_archive and
BackupPC_archiveHost it appears that BackupPC_archive begins the archive
creation process and then passes control to BackupPC_archiveHost which uses the
settings listed in the CGI (ArchiveClientCmd).

This implies that BackupPC_archive could become a cron job and thereby achieve
the desired scheduling.  Consequently, creating an archive occurs at a
predictable date/time which might be beneficial taking into account the archive
will take longer to complete than a normal full/incremental backup.

Is this analysis correct?

> Adam Goryachev wrote:
>
> AFAIK, you don't schedule an archive... The scheduling only applies to
> full/incremental backups.....
>
> Of course, I could be wrong... but that is my experience and understanding of
> the docs...

I have only recently begun to explore the use of BackupPC and may be
investigating areas which are better understood by more experienced users.  In
my view, if archiving is designed not to make use of the scheduling facility
built into BackupPc, it is a little confusing for the CGI to present the same
scheduling options as those available for full/incremental backups.

SamK