BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Working Well - Except Archiving

2008-11-21 08:51:53
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Working Well - Except Archiving
From: <samk-01 AT ntlworld DOT com>
To: Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 13:49:38 +0000
Craig Barratt wrote:

> BackupPC_archiveStart is hardcoded to have no compression and use
> a .raw suffix.  It's pretty easy to see where to edit it to change
> that.  As Nils' mentioned you can easily compress that file, or
> use BackupPC_tarCreate and compress its output (after all,
> BackupPC_archiveStart eventually just runs BackupPC_tarCreate).

Nils Breunese wrote

Dale Renton wrote:

> Have a look at these for compression :
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=abf696d2-1326-4acc-8cee-374badd63779
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=c3e8b09d-a5c3-4782-93f7-44457dc1f048

Thanks go to each of you.  Archiving is now working with two residual issues to
clear up.

QUESTIONS:
01 The format of the command line required by BackupPC_archiveStart is
<archiveHost> <userName> <hosts>.  Is is possible to specify multiple <hosts>
without explicitly listing each of them at the command line?  (perhaps a
wildcard) I have tried an asterisk without success.

02 I would like to conduct actions prior and post creating an archive.
Specifically mounting a Truecrypt encrypted removable disk.  The following
command line works exactly as required when executed at the command line as
user = backuppc but fails when used in archiveHost.pl.
Command line version
/bin/echo password | /usr/bin/truecrypt --text --keyfiles=""
--protect-hidden=no --password=password --mount /dev/sdd1
/media/backups-archived

archiveHost.pl version
$Conf{ArchivePreUserCmd} = '/bin/echo password | /usr/bin/truecrypt --text
--keyfiles="" --protect-hidden=no --password=password --mount /dev/sdd1
/media/backups-archived';

Is this the correct file in which to list pre/post archive commands?

Is there a syntax flaw in the construction of my $Conf{ArchivePreUserCmd}?

SamK