BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with apache2

2008-06-03 23:34:31
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with apache2
To: Sam Przyswa <samp AT arial-concept DOT com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 13:34:14 +1000

Sam Przyswa wrote:
> Adam Goryachev a écrit :
> So, I got the backuppc Debian Etch/backport 3.1.0-2 and install it. It
> seems work but I copied the entire directory from my old server with the
> v2.1.2 with the root dir as /var/local/BackupPC and the subdir:
>
> ./conf

Copy only the host config files from here to your new debian server into
/etc/backuppc/hostname.pl

> ./cpool
> ./pc
> ./log

Copy these three dirs to /var/lib/backuppc

> In /etc/backuppc/config.pl I set:
>
> $Conf{TopDir} =
> '/var/local/BackupPC';

DO NOT CHANGE the TopDir in the config.pl file!! That has been said so
many times on this list!

Leave the topdir alone, and just edit the other things in the config.pl
that you want to customise.

The best way I found to do this is something like this:
grep -v ^\# oldconfig.pl > /tmp/oldconfig.pl
grep -v ^\# newconfig.pl > /tmp/newconfig.pl
diff -u /tmp/oldconfig.pl /tmp/newconfig.pl

> $Conf{ConfDir} = '/var/local/BackupPC/conf';

Keep your configs in /etc/backuppc

> But in /var/local/BackupPC/conf/ I already have a config.pl and a hosts
> files. I copied the hosts file in /etc/backuppc but the host summary now
> show the hosts but with no backup.

Right, because you can't change the topdir/confdir like that... You have
strayed from the path, but once you come back to the "Debian Way" then
you will be fine. Put the data were your package manager wants you to,
and you will find things significantly easier, especially when it is
time to upgrade. This is true for ALL distro/package based systems.

If you need to, use "bind" mounts if you don't have enough disk space
where debian thinks you should have it...

Regards,
Adam

- --
Adam Goryachev