BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with apache2

2008-06-03 20:38:07
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems with apache2
To: Sam Przyswa <samp AT arial-concept DOT com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 10:37:59 +1000

Sam Przyswa wrote:
> Les Mikesell a écrit :
>> Sam Przyswa wrote:
>>
>>> I'll try to get more help about running BackupPC without the mod_perl on
>>> apache2...
>>>

>> Normally httpd.conf has something like:
>>

> apache2 don't use httpd.conf but apache2.conf I said APACHE2

Same thing... lots of stuff is not different between apache 1 and apache
2...

> I restart to the beginning :
>
> I have a virtualhost named backups-xl.my.domain.com on machine named
> sun.my.domain.com with the main script in a directory
> /var/apache2/BackupPC_Admin and I want run my backups as
> http://backups-xl.my.domain.com/BackupPC_Admin

This is wrong and doesn't allow the below either... You can't access the
cgi script in the root (ok, I'll give you a work-around below).

> The bin and libs are in /usr/share/backuppc set by the install script
> all owned by backuppc user and setuid
>
> 1) what must be the DocumentRoot for this virtualhost ?

Set the docroot to something like /var/apache2/backuppc/html

> 2) what must be the /cgi-bin/ directory for this virtualhost ?

/var/apache2/backuppc/cgi-bin

> 3) what is the best place for the script ./BackupPC_Admin set for the
> backups-xl.my.domain.com virtualhost only ?

/var/apache2/backuppc/cgi-bin

> 4) witch directory must be limited by Auth mechanism ?

I think you might want to apply the auth to the Location /cgi-bin within
the virtualhost.... rather than a specific directory...

> 5) how to make BackupPC running in regular mode, not with mod_perl, I
> never succeed to do that !

Don't install mod_perl ?

> WITH APACHE2 AND DEBIAN ETCH !!!

Personally, I used "apt-get install apache2 backuppc"

I don't recall, but I might have needed to manually do something like:
ln -s /etc/backuppc/apache.conf /etc/apache2/conf.d

> PLEASE.
>
> At least give me the right setup to run BackupPC as a virtualhost on
> apache or apache2 .

Likely, just setup the virtualhost as normal, and then copy the
apache.conf stuff into your virtualhost.... There is nothing really that
special about backuppc, yet lots of people seem to be getting majorly
confused about it. Installing from your distro packages is likely to be
the easiest method for anyone. If you want a newer version of backuppc
than the version in etch, see either backports, or "etchnhalf", or see
apt-pinning which will allow you to use the version from testing or
unstable.

Hope the above helps somehow....

Regards,
Adam