Amanda-Users

Re: e2fsck question

2009-04-20 10:18:10
Subject: Re: e2fsck question
From: Jeff Anderson <jdanderson AT lbl DOT gov>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 06:23:01 -0700
On Sunday 19 April 2009 11:02:55 Alan Pearson wrote:
> Without being funny, I wouldn't touch a moxtor drive with yours.
>
> I look after about 500 spinning disks in our company (from servers to
> desktops) and out of the 8 drive failures I've had in 3 years, 4 have
> been maxtor.
> Plus I've had the misfortune to have 2 fail at home, and I swear I'll
> never, ever, touch one again, no matter how cheap they are.
>
> I've got Seagate drives spinning from many years ago, and they're the
> only ones I'll buy now.

Seagate purchased Maxtor several years ago. They are now the same company.

> But Dustins right, the minute you see stuff like that from a drive,
> return it or bin it, it's not worth even messing about with the
> manufacturer utilities which may relocated bad sectors etc, the drive
> has past it's 'trust level'.

I agree.  The Seagate/Maxtor 1TB drives from the last year seem to have been
particularly bad.   I've purchased a couple dozen and I've had to return five
in the last year.  Fortunately Seagate has a pretty easy RMA/return procedure.
Just go to the website and they'll generate an RMA along with shipping
instructions right there.  You don't even have to speak to a person.

Jeffrey Anderson                        | jdanderson AT lbl DOT gov
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory   | Mailstop 50a-5101
Phone: 510 486-4208                     | Fax: 510 486-6808