Amanda-Users

Re: e2fsck question

2009-04-20 16:22:08
Subject: Re: e2fsck question
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 16:03:14 -0400
wrote:
>> And even more important, should I be asking for an RMA from Maxtor?
>
>If it's still in warranty, you're seeing filesystem errors, and SMART
>is indicating that your filesystem errors are caused by hardware
>problems, then you should be calling Maxtor.
>
>Drives go bad, and all of the system-level tools in the world are
>basically helpless to prevent it :(
>
>Dustin

I ran 'e2fsck -c -c -y /dev/sdc1', which took nearly 2 days, found thousands
of errors, generated a 1.7gigabyte /var/log/messages, and apparently destroyed
the partition table, it is not even mountable now.  And fdisk nor e2fsck can't
find it now.  Warranty return obtained.  Which I'll do, but I think Staples
has a suitable Seagate, so this may be a spare when its returned from McAllen
TX.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Mirrors should reflect a little before throwing back images.
        -- Jean Cocteau