Amanda-Users

Re: e2fsck question

2009-04-19 19:48:25
Subject: Re: e2fsck question
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 19:40:03 -0400
On Sunday 19 April 2009, Alan Pearson wrote:
>Without being funny, I wouldn't touch a moxtor drive with yours.
>
>I look after about 500 spinning disks in our company (from servers to
>desktops) and out of the 8 drive failures I've had in 3 years, 4 have
>been maxtor.
>Plus I've had the misfortune to have 2 fail at home, and I swear I'll
>never, ever, touch one again, no matter how cheap they are.
>
>I've got Seagate drives spinning from many years ago, and they're the
>only ones I'll buy now.
>
>Just my 2p !
>
>But Dustins right, the minute you see stuff like that from a drive,
>return it or bin it, it's not worth even messing about with the
>manufacturer utilities which may relocated bad sectors etc, the drive
>has past it's 'trust level'. Messing with e2fsk will likely make the
>problem worse, as it's trying to polish a rusty car, you could make
>more holes !

I think you were trying to be nice.  Personally I've had a mixed bag of luck
with both labels, seagate owns maxtor you know.  I've had my poorest luck with
WD drives here.  I believe they have a power up timer in them so they can
schedule their death for about 15 days after the warranty has run out.  I have
a pile of them here I use for test, but I'd never trust them with real data.
One 320GB has over 100 million read errors and can't be forced into marking a
single bad block.  Go figure.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
You can prove anything by mentioning another computer language.  :-)

             -- Larry Wall in <199706242038.NAA29853 AT wall DOT org>