Amanda-Users

Re: e2fsck question

2009-04-19 17:49:29
Subject: Re: e2fsck question
From: Alan Pearson <alandpearson AT yahoo DOT com>
To: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 19:02:55 +0100
Without being funny, I wouldn't touch a moxtor drive with yours.

I look after about 500 spinning disks in our company (from servers to desktops) and out of the 8 drive failures I've had in 3 years, 4 have been maxtor. Plus I've had the misfortune to have 2 fail at home, and I swear I'll never, ever, touch one again, no matter how cheap they are.

I've got Seagate drives spinning from many years ago, and they're the only ones I'll buy now.

Just my 2p !

But Dustins right, the minute you see stuff like that from a drive, return it or bin it, it's not worth even messing about with the manufacturer utilities which may relocated bad sectors etc, the drive has past it's 'trust level'. Messing with e2fsk will likely make the problem worse, as it's trying to polish a rusty car, you could make more holes !

---
AlanP