Amanda-Users

Re: e2fsck question

2009-04-20 17:51:47
Subject: Re: e2fsck question
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 14:34:30 -0400
On Monday 20 April 2009, Jeff Anderson wrote:
>On Sunday 19 April 2009 11:02:55 Alan Pearson wrote:
>> Without being funny, I wouldn't touch a moxtor drive with yours.
>>
>> I look after about 500 spinning disks in our company (from servers to
>> desktops) and out of the 8 drive failures I've had in 3 years, 4 have
>> been maxtor.
>> Plus I've had the misfortune to have 2 fail at home, and I swear I'll
>> never, ever, touch one again, no matter how cheap they are.
>>
>> I've got Seagate drives spinning from many years ago, and they're the
>> only ones I'll buy now.
>
>Seagate purchased Maxtor several years ago. They are now the same company.

The diff I can see is Seagate warrants for 5 years, Maxtor for 3.

>> But Dustins right, the minute you see stuff like that from a drive,
>> return it or bin it, it's not worth even messing about with the
>> manufacturer utilities which may relocated bad sectors etc, the drive
>> has past it's 'trust level'.
>
>I agree.  The Seagate/Maxtor 1TB drives from the last year seem to have been
>particularly bad.   I've purchased a couple dozen and I've had to return
> five in the last year.  Fortunately Seagate has a pretty easy RMA/return
> procedure. Just go to the website and they'll generate an RMA along with
> shipping instructions right there.  You don't even have to speak to a
> person.

Great.  If, and when, an 'e2fsck -c -c -y /dev/sdc1' gets done that will be
next.  So far:
[root@coyote /]# e2fsck -c -c -y /dev/sdc1
e2fsck 1.41.4 (27-Jan-2009)
Checking for bad blocks (non-destructive read-write test)
Testing with random pattern: badblocks: Input/output error during
ext2fs_sync_device
badblocks: Input/output error during ext2fs_sync_device
badblocks: Input/output error during ext2fs_sync_device
badblocks: Input/output error during ext2fs_sync_device
badblocks: Input/output error during ext2fs_sync_device
badblocks: Input/output error during ext2fs_sync_device
badblocks: Input/output error during ext2fs_sync_device
badblocks: Input/output error during ext2fs_sync_device
badblocks: Input/output error during ext2fs_sync_device
badblocks: Input/output error during ext2fs_sync_device
badblocks: Input/output error during ext2fs_sync_device
 75.17% done, 28:09:11 elapsed

And its hung again on something.  I'm watching I/O traffic with gkrellm.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
If the master dies and the disciple grieves, the lives of both have
been wasted.